Saturday, December 24, 2011

6-7. Mary Visits Elizabeth and John is Born

December 24 or January 4

LINK: Luke 1:39-80

"Jump For Joy -Visitation Mary and Elizabeth" Link to this Artist


BACKGROUND

"The greatest forces in the world are not the earthquakes and the thunderbolts.  The greatest forces in the world are babies." Dr. E.T. Sullivan

6. Mary visits Elizabeth: Luke 1:39-56

Shortly after Gabriel visited Mary, she went to spend three months with her pregnant relative Elizabeth.  What joy and female bonding!

Luke frequently used the word "joy" in the two books he wrote (Luke and Acts). He often links this word with salvation. We have seen him use it in describing John the Baptist (1:14), and it is in full view in this section! John leaped for joy in Elizabeth's womb when Mary came carrying Jesus. Elizabeth responded in joy when she said that Mary was carrying the mother of her Lord. The term "Lord" (kyrios) was often used to describe Jesus in the book of Luke because "Christ" ("Messiah") would have not meant as much to his target audience, the Greeks, because they did not know all the prophecy leading up to His coming. 

Lastly, Mary responded in joy at carrying Jesus by singing a hymn of praise and quoting many Old Testament Scriptures (Psalms and Hannah's song in 1 Samuel 2:1-10).  This song is often called "The Magnificat" because the opening words, "My soul doth magnify the Lord," is Magnificat anima mea Dominum in Latin. Many beautiful pieces of music have been written to this music by composers like Vivaldi and Bach (I sang the Vivaldi version my freshman year in college). 

7. John the Baptist is born: Luke 1:57-80

Jacopo Pontormo 031
The Birth of John the Baptist by Jacopo Pontormo
[Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons

More rejoicing occurs as John is given to this once-barren couple. They named him John (meaning "God has been gracious") just as the angel had instructed even though it was tradition to name a baby boy after the father or someone else in the family. With their insistence that his name be John, Zechariah let out Holy Spirit-inspired praise.  Significant words from his hymn of praise indicate what Jesus' coming to earth would mean for us:
1) Redemption (1:68) - The Greek word is lýtrōsis, and it means "release from an obligation" In 1:68 and 2:38, it means "liberation" from the yoke of enemies (Luke 24:21). In Luke 4:18, Jesus will say he has brought "deliverance to the captives." And Hebrews 9:12 brings it more into focus: Jesus would bring deliverance through His death, from the guilt and power of sin.  
2) Salvation (1:69-75) - Jesus is the "horn/strength of salvation." Simeon would later call Him, "Your salvation" (Luke 2:30). This metaphor is from the Old Testament (Psalm 18:2; 75:10; 132:17) where the strength of the animal is seen in their horns. He would deliver them from their enemies (1:74). As foretold, Jesus came from the house of David (1:69) as we learned when we read about Mary and Joseph's lineage, a Jew (Genesis 12:1-3), and was born in David's city, Bethlehem (Micah 5:2).   
3) Forgiveness (1:76-77) - Forgiveness means "letting them [sins] go as if they had never been committed" (The Enhanced Strong's Lexicon). Jesus' death paid our debt of sin to a most holy God. 
4) Light (1:78-79) - Jesus is the "Sunrise from on high." We have already learned from studying John 1 this week that Jesus is the light for people sitting in darkness and death. He brought light to shine a path in our life that leads to peace and abundance. HALLELUJAH!

REFLECTION

I give the option of starting the reading for this book club in January, but it is really fun to read Events 1-10 in the five days leading up to Christmas! It has been such a blessing to my soul to write these posts during this season. It is what Christmas is all about. It has kept my soul very focused on Jesus being the reason for the season!  I only have five presents wrapped, but I am so WRAPPED up in the joy of Jesus right now, I don't CARE! And that is as it should be! 

You might be reading this in the New Year. You are not behind! How can you keep your soul focused on Jesus in this coming year instead of wrapped up in the worries and stress of everyday life? What is your "I will" for today? 

APPLICATION

Here are some possible suggestions for application:
  • Spend some time listening to God. That means shutting out the busyness of your life to really find some solitude and silence. It doesn't need to be a long and formal thing. Simply bow your head, connect to His presence, and listen.
  • Worshiping God as You pray through Mary's Magnificat (see video below)!
  • Try this Lectio Divina of Mary visiting Elizabeth and a Visio Divina of the wonderful picture above (the artist gave me permission to use this here. Follow this link to other art by him.)
  • Meditate on Jesus being redemption, salvation, forgiveness, and light for you.
I paused and connected with God by stilling myself. Then I reflected on the path of light He has given me, recalling times where He led me in a clear, well-lighted path. I had a time of Interactive Gratitude journaling, reflecting on the peace and abundance I have experienced as I have followed that path. Then, I listened to what He had to say to me about that.

PRAYER

Let John Rutter's rendition of the Magnificat lead you into worship and prayer:




Lord, I cannot study this and not believe that You are the LIGHT OF THE WORLD who came into my dark life.  Everything fits together so perfectly. Thank You for Your Word that shows us all of this. Amen. Would you shine on my friend's dark life today.


A beautiful Advent ceremony is contained in the book, Celebrating the Christian Year by Martha Zimmerman. I had the pleasure of meeting Martha, and she has poured her heart into this book!


If you are starting the Gospel Harmony Book Club in December, light the four candles around your Advent Wreath if you are doing this during the Christmas season, and meditate on how Jesus is the light in the darkness. 

2 comments:

  1. Hey all, I will be doing this one day ahead so that I can have the comment here before people in all time zones! I opted for meditating on all the words related to Zacharias' prophecy: redemptions, salvation, forgiveness, light. I harkened back to a time of sin in college, and how I was delivered from the bondage of a bad relationship (redemption), saved from the enemy as I really think the enemy of our soul knew I was on the verge of giving my whole life to Jesus (19 years old), and the enemy was fighting hard to not let that happen (salvation), recalling the full forgiveness I felt when I broke free from the bondage, and how my life was just flooded with light when I made that decision! Such a good time of remembering how much God has done for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That picture of Elizabeth and Mary gives me such joy! I added it with the blessing of the artist. I ordered the print in order to have it in my living room during the Christmas season. It brings me great back to the pure joy of realizing that the SAVIOR is coming into the world to bring Light into our darkness. He has brought me such light, and I am forever GRATEFUL!

    ReplyDelete