Friday, January 20, 2012

40-41. Eating and Fasting

BACKGROUND AND LINKS

40. Jesus eats with sinners at Matthew's house: Matthew9:9-13, Mark 2:13-17, Luke 5:27-32

This is the story of the calling of the author of the gospel of Matthew (also called Levi). He was a tax collector but left this occupation to follow Him. Jesus accepted people from every level of society, even tax collectors and sinners.

Jesus was not going to follow the tradition of the Pharisees, but He was going to go to those who KNEW they had need because they were sinners. The Pharisees followed tradition without any sort of compassion for those who were spiritually sick.

41. Religious leaders ask Jesus about fasting: Matthew9:14-17, Mark 2:18-22, Luke 5:33-39

John's disciples wanted to know why Jesus' disciples did not observe the tradition of the fast.  Pious Jews fasted regularly as a sign of repentance and in preparation for the coming of the Messiah.  Jesus was saying there was no need to fast because the Messiah had already come! It was a time for feasting and celebration rather than fasting. Jesus was inaugurating something new by leading them out of Judaism and into the kingdom based on a relationship with the King (Him) and pursuing His righteousness (Matthew 6:33). 

By the way, there was really only one prescribed fast in the Old Testament, and that was during the Day of Atonement (Leviticus 23) but fasting was often practiced by the people. (Remember Anna who served God by fasting and prayer in the temple from Luke 2?)

REFLECTION

It is funny that I am writing this today since I am writing in January, the month of fasting and prayer for the churches in our valley! So, I did a week-long fast the first week of January and am skipping lunch and snacks between breakfast and dinner during weeks two and three and doing a total fast with my Kingdom Community the last week. 

Jesus is not saying that fasting is wrong here. In fact, in Matthew 6 he assumes people will be fasting by saying, "Whenever you fast . . . " It is not a commandment because Jesus was more about getting to the heart of the matter rather than doing the outward "pious act."

I love to fast. It helps me focus on the Lord and not be distracted by meal preparation, planning, and eating. I also know that when it is not of the Lord, it is a PAIN.  Doing anything in the flesh is not a good idea.

Fasting is a spiritual discipline that I really value in my life. I hope you will consider it for yours too.

APPLICATION

Read about fasting from the book, Celebration of Discipline by Richard Foster:

"Fasting" (This is the study guide for the entire book. Fasting is p. 42-50;)

(I heartily recommend the entire book. My husband and I spent a delightful weekend in 2015 with Richard and his son. They discussed the application of all the disciplines. As a result of editing this post in 2016, I started a Celebration of Discipline group using the DVD series, and we practiced the disciplines of each chapter. It has been really fun!)

The entire video series is online for free now (the DVDs were spendy): 


Here is the discussion on Fasting:


PRAYER

Lord, help us to do all things with an eye toward deepening our relationship with and glorifying YOU! Amen. 

4 comments:

  1. It is a holiday for me today (I am ahead of the readers of this blog). I normally cannot fast because I bike 3 miles to work and back and teach three Pilates classes. So, it is usually not possible for me to fast today. But God woke me up and told me to fast and pray today, forgetting that this was the reading for me today. Pretty providential, wouldn't you say? So, I will fast. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will also reread Richard Foster's chapter in his book and read the study guide that I linked this blog too!

      Delete
    2. I loved, loved, loved yesterday's day of prayer and fasting. God gave me moments of real clarity about many things, and I loved reading Richard Foster again. I read his "fasting" chapter and read the whole link above. I am going to order the DVD Curriculum and start doing a Celebration of the Disciplines class on most Tuesdays from 12:30-2:30. If you are local: JOIN ME!

      Delete
  2. George and I are going to have fasting this week. I am no longer teaching and taking a sabbatical from spiritual direction for July. So, it is a good time to do it. Love that all these resources are free online now. The cost of the DVDs wasn't so bad, but the shipping made it very expensive!

    ReplyDelete