Sunday, March 4, 2012

153-154. Entering the Kingdom and Grieving Over Jersualem


LINK: Luke 13:22-35


BACKGROUND

153. Jesus teaches about entering the Kingdom: Luke 13:22-30

The events from Luke 13:22-17:10 took place in Perea (#22 on the map) as Jesus was on His way to Jerusalem. Jesus turned the theological question of how many would be saved into something personal. The issue is not how many will be saved but if YOU will be saved! 

Salvation and entrance into God's kingdom is through a very narrow gate. We sometimes have to walk away from a wider path that does not lead toward Him. We need to trust Him with all our hearts and without delay to enter the kingdom. 

154. Jesus grieves over Jerusalem: Luke 13:31-35

Jesus was on His way to Jerusalem. The Pharisees here are not protecting Him but trying to keep Him from accomplishing His goal of going to Jerusalem, but He knew He must because Jerusalem was the center of the nation, the city of God. Jerusalem had always rejected prophets (1 Kings 19:10; 2 Chronicles 24:19; Jeremiah 2:30; 26:20-23) and would reject Him. 

For this, He mourned over it and left it "abandoned." He quoted Psalm 118:26. They quoted it at the entry into Jerusalem, but this was not approved by the religious leaders. Many believe He is referring to His Second Coming when He will be recognized and received as the Messiah.  

REFLECTION

I really do not like theological discussions. I was once part of a group of women who LOVED it. In fact, we had a whole online forum for theology, and things got HOT over there sometimes. I was often asked to come and give my input, but I avoided it like the plague!

When at a face-to-face time in Ohio with this group of women, I happened to be sitting with them while they were debating theology in "real-time," and they asked for my opinion. I made the comment that I do not "think" about God very much. They all burst out laughing because they knew I loved God with all my heart (or as much as I can, being that I am a sinful person). But it is true; I am not one to quibble about theological questions. I just want a personal relationship with God and want His life to flow through my heart and actions. That is why I have to share this quote from Warren Wiersbe:
I sometimes receive “theological letters” from radio listeners who want to argue about predestination, election, and other difficult doctrines. When I reply, I usually ask them about their prayer life, their witnessing, and their work in the local church. That often ends the correspondence. Too many professed Christians want to discuss these profound doctrines, but they do not want to put them into practice by seeking to win people to Jesus Christ! D.L. Moody prayed, “Lord, save the elect, and then elect some more!” (The Bible Exposition Commentary, Lk 13:22)
It goes back to my post from Luke 10 (Events 130-133). Jesus called His kingdom followers to be worshipers, and this would lead to them being ambassadors and kind, loving, and compassionate neighbors. I do not see that He called us anywhere to be good theologians

I will now descend from my soap box to let you think and dialogue with God about that for a bit.

(Boy it felt good to get that out of my system though.)

APPLICATION

(Seeking God: Finding Another Kind of Life, p. 121)

The quote from Trevor Hudson's spiritual director in the picture above says it all. It isn't just about insight (theology - and very "left brain") about God. It is about encounter (relational and "right brain") with Jesus. (Read the Reflection section of the Galatians 5 post for more information on the left brain/right brain dynamic.)

Have you slipped into quibbling about theology rather than encountering God, worshiping, and living out your faith? Talk to God about it. 

PRAYER

Lord, we adore You. We want to be in 24/7/365 fellowship with You and allow You to tell us where to go and what to do and what to say. We ask this in Jesus' name. Amen. 

1 comment:

  1. Running the race toward relationship and encounter with the living Lord!

    ReplyDelete