Wednesday, February 1, 2012

72-74. Women and Accusations

BACKGROUND AND LINKS

72. A sinful woman anoints Jesus' feet: Luke 7:36-50

This woman is often confused with Mary of Bethany (John 12:1-8) or Mary Magdalene (Mark 16:9; Luke 8:2), but she was a different woman with a bad reputation. She would not have been welcome in the home of a Pharisee, but this woman might have responded to Jesus' invitation to "Come to Him" which would have just happened before this event (Matthew 11:28-30). 

To follow up the previous words in Luke 7:18-35, Jesus contrasted the Pharisee named Simon with the sinful woman, who received forgiveness (Luke 7:47) and salvation (Luke 7:50). A sinful woman's touch would have made a person ceremonially unclean, but Jesus taught that a person who is forgiven much loves more than a person who is forgiven little. 

Jesus' forgiveness of the woman caused the dinner guests to wonder who Jesus was since He forgave sins since no one could forgive sins but God alone (Luke 5:21). 


73. Women accompany Jesus and the disciples: Luke 8:1-3

In addition to the disciples, women were also closely associated with Jesus and helped support Him. Mary was from Magdala in Galilee.



74. Religious leaders accuse Jesus of getting his power from Satan: Matthew 12:22-37, Mark 3:20-30

This section starts a new round of accusations from the religious elite. 

The crowds were beginning to see Him as the Messiah, but the religious leaders thought He was of Beelzebub (the name of a devil that means "master of the house"). To make the connection, He gave us a picture of a strong man guarding His house! He pointed out the absurdity of assuming that Satan acts against himself. The charge that Jesus' exorcisms were due to Satan's power was ludicrous. No one can overtake this strong "master of the house" unless he shows he is more powerful, and that is exactly what Jesus had done! The part about blaspheming the Holy Spirit reflects an open and defiant hostility toward God. 

REFLECTION/APPLICATION


Like the sinful woman, we have been forgiven much! Respond in thanksgiving to God for His forgiveness of you!


Come now, let us reason together:
Though your sins are like scarlet,
They shall be as white as snow;
Though they are red as crimson,
They shall be like wool.
 (Isaiah 1:18)

Another possible application:

Here is an article regarding healing and deliverance by John Piper:

PRAYER

Thank You for Your forgiveness of my sins, Lord. Amen. 

2 comments:

  1. My "I WILL" was to listen to the John Piper sermon above. It is pretty theological rather than practical, and I tend to gravitate toward the practical sermons my pastor gives. I was presented with the option to do copywork for a book on spiritual deliverance the same day I read this passage. I WILL pray about taking the author up on the request. I must evaluate as it is about 1000 pages long!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been forgiven much! I had a confession time yesterday, and as I confessed on my walk, God immediately met me and gave me a gift of something that I saw on my walk. Such FORGIVENESS AND FREEDOM!

    ReplyDelete