Tuesday, January 17, 2012

33-35. Following Fisherman, Preaching, and Healing

10 Mark’s Gospel C. Jesus goes public image 2 of 2. Simon Peter and Andrew with Christ. Mortier
By Phillip Vere [FAL], via Wikimedia Commons
BACKGROUND AND LINKS

33. Four Fishermen Follow Jesus: Matthew 4:18-22, Mark 1:16-20

Tradition says that John the son of Zebedee, was one of the two unnamed disciples at Bethany in the account of John 1:35-51, three of the four fishermen in this present account had already temporarily followed Jesus for a time, but they returned to their jobs as fishermen. This is the permanent call. Jesus, said, "Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men." They immediately followed Him. 


34. Jesus teaches with great authority: Mark 1:21-28, Luke 4:31-37 

Capernaum is now to become Jesus' base of operation since Nazareth had rejected Him. It was also the home of Peter and Andrew (Luke 4:38). The fact that He taught with authority and that an unclean spirit identified Him as the Holy One of God is more proof of the deity of Jesus! He also did this on the Sabbath. Stay tuned for fireworks with the religious authorities over the issue of the Sabbath. 


Remember that Mark and Luke are writing for Gentiles. They both specify that it is an evil/unclean spirit. We know that the Greeks (whom Luke was writing for) believed in both good and evil ones. 


35. Jesus heals Peter's mother-in-law and many others: Matthew 8:14-17, Mark 1:29-34, Luke 4:38-41

The Matthew account points out that these healings were a fulfillment of the prophecy in Isaiah 53:4 because he is writing for a Jewish audience. 

Both Mark and Luke indicate the miracle of Peter's mother-in-law occurred right after Jesus taught with authority and rebuked the unclean spirit. The news was spreading and at the end of the Sabbath day, when healing was permissible, people were bringing the sick to Him, and demons knew who Jesus was even if the people did not yet. 

REFLECTION/APPLICATION/PRAYER

Matthew quotes Isaiah 53:4 in response to Jesus healing many. I made a praise song out of Isaiah 53:4-5 once. Pray and praise God through these verses today. Make it personal.

Surely our griefs He Himself bore, 
And our sorrows He carried; 
Yet we ourselves esteemed Him stricken, 
Smitten of God, and afflicted. 
But He was pierced through for our transgressions, 
He was crushed for our iniquities; 
The chastening for our well-being [peace] fell upon Him, 
And by His scourging we are healed. 
(Isaiah 53:4-5) 

(In the 80s, I made up many melodies to my time in Scripture. Here is a link to me singing the one I wrote to Isaiah 53:4-5.)

3 comments:

  1. God had already given me my word for 2016: Strong. While meditating on this passage, I saw that God wants to give His servants power and authority also. Coupled with the daily word of WISDOM he had given me a few days ago, and feel like 2016, God is saying He wants to work His Strength, Wisdom, Power, and Authority through me (The great SWAP of 2016) as opposed to Weakness, Foolishness, Ineffectiveness, and Timidity! I feel stronger everyday both physically, mentally, spiritually, and emotionally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The word shouldn't be "both," but I cannot think of what it should be (It is really early in the morning!).

      Delete
  2. Wow! Really insightful to read the comment I wrote seven years ago. I have grown so much in the big SWAP (Strength, Wisdom, Authority, and Power). I had to put my "big girl panties" on and lead a group through two years of making spiritual formation podcasts, and I kept saying that I needed to be a LOVING, LEARNING (Wisdom), LEADER (Strength, Authority, Power). The loving and learning were not hard for me, but the LEADER and SAP were harder (at least, "upfront" leader - I am great at being a behind-the-scenes leader). The other words were similar LOVING, VISIONARY, REVOLUTIONARY. I argued with Jesus about being a REVOLUTIONARY, telling Him I am not one, until He said, "But I am!" I think a revolution has started with those podcasts, but there are some people who want to be in the limelight much more than me and are younger and have more energy. So, I have left this and am eliciting change on the individual and small group level. That is more where I shine. Also, being the "stealth shepherd" behind people who prefer to be upfront. It has been what I have done since I was second string Center to an All-American and Olympic gold medalist! It is just what God has called me to be and do, and I love it. I am still living into the SWAP, but I am so much more confident in it than ever! Living my best life. So, my word for 2023 is JOY, and he has given me so much of it! Everywhere I turn, He confirms it. Abundant life. That is what Jesus promised.

    ReplyDelete