Thursday, January 19, 2012

38-39. Crowd Filled with Awe

ChristCleansing
Jesus Cleansing a Leper by Jean-Marie Melchior Doze 1864
(2023, March 19). In Wikipedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_cleansing_a_leper 


BACKGROUND

38. Jesus heals a man with leprosy: Matthew 8:1-4, Mark 1:40-45, Luke 5:12-16


Jesus demonstrated His power over disease, demonic forces, and men. He healed the man with leprosy. There had been no record of any Israelite being healed from leprosy other than Miriam (Numbers 12:10-15). Jesus instructed the man to go to the priest as a testimony. The priests were men of influence, and it was important for the man to go to a priest first (even though the Mark account records that he did not do so) so that he could be examined and the miracle eventually be known via influential channels.


39. Jesus heals a paralyzed man: Matthew 9:1-8; Mark 2:1-12; Luke 5:17-26

Try the meditation on this passage from Contemplative at Home.

Bible Storytelling: Jesus Heals and Forgives Sins: audio and script

Jesus continues to demonstrate His authority. Apparently, the illness of the paralytic was a result of his sin. Only God could forgive sins (Mark 2:7; Luke 5:21). So, He was making a very bold statement about His divinity in this passage by forgiving the paralytic's sin. I had always been confused about Jesus saying He has the power to forgive sins but then saying "Rise, take up your pallet and walk" instead until I read Luke 5:24 in the Message version:


   “Well, just so it’s clear that I’m the Son of Man 
and authorized to do either, or both.…” 
He now spoke directly to the paraplegic: 
“Get up. Take your bedroll and go home.”

Of course, this enraged the religious leaders and caused them to begin to oppose Jesus. Jesus knew their thoughts (another example of His divinity) and questioned them. The religious leaders may not have been impressed, but the crowd was filled with awe! 

REFLECTION/APPLICATION
My husband does a beautiful imaginative contemplation on the healing of the paralytic! Someday, I will have him record it. He did it with our community group, and we imagined who we were in the scene and then imagined who was on the pallet. We prayed for that person. It was beautiful. 

Does Jesus fill you with awe? Why or why not? Ask God to tell you what your perception of Jesus is. Then listen to what He says. 
PRAYER
Jesus, fill us with awe of You today. Amen

2 comments:

  1. My "I will" was to ask God. My perception is that He is Savior, Lord, Friend, in my heart, by my side, with me through thick and thin, the One who makes me strong, example of SWAP (Strength, Wisdom, Power, and Authority). I also want to "I WILL" by going back to learning these Bible Stories I am now posting on this site. I want to improve in telling them with power and authority!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am filled with awe every day by You, Jesus. May I see Your power working through me as I work on a major project all day!

    ReplyDelete